Tuesday, September 30, 2008

#6: RSS Feeds

Well, I am conflicted about RSS feeds. I know how useful they can be. However, I am trying to limit the amount of information I read and have to deal with every day - and using an RSS feed would just add to that information. I am also trying to limit the amount of time I spend on the computer every day - especially at home. (I would subscribe to pages that I do not check regularly now, but wouldn't mind getting updates on. Also, I know that I'd just start finding interesting feeds all over the place and subscribing to them.) An RSS feed, right now, is just another thing to check: currently, I'm trying to balance 3 e-mail accounts (one for work, one for school, one for personal), Facebook, wikis for current projects, and numerous other things. To add yet ANOTHER account that I must sign into just feels... tiring.

I think it is a matter of paring down, possibly forwarding my e-mails to two accounts (instead of three), getting off a few mailing lists, and possibly finding a newsreader that I can use in conjunction with my e-mail - I don't know. I have to manage it somehow, and once I've sorted through a lot of this stuff, perhaps a newsreader won't be a bad idea. We shall see.

No comments: