Thursday, October 16, 2008

12 pretty maids all in a row

I already have a Facebook account (sigh), and I've browsed MySpace before (sigh), so I didn't do much here.


Facebook and I have a love-hate relationship. I avoided it for YEARS because I knew what was going to happen (and it did, when I finally did sign up).

the honeymoon
It was really exciting for the first month or so - I was finding friends I hadn't seen for years, I was catching up on people's lives, I was visiting with friends from Saskatoon more often. I had 110 friends, and it was fun! I was on the computer every day, checking my wall, messaging back and forth, adding friends, looking at their pictures and profiles, until...

the first fight
It was summer. Why was I on the computer more than the absolute minimal amount necessary? Begone, computer! Begone, Facebook! (We had a bit of a falling out.)

distractions and avoidance
I became busy with other things and people. I was working, taking classes, dancing, playing with the cat outside, cooking... you know, the usual.
Suddenly, the same thing that was happening to my e-mail was happening with my Facebook profile and messages and wall. I read messages, but didn't want to respond right away because I had "other things to do". Even though this was (and is) true, Facebook was hurt.

the makeup
A week goes by, then another week. Two and a half months have passed in this way, when I log into my Facebook account with the intent of finally responding to all of those messages I've been avoiding. I read them again, and in a blitz of fast typing, repetition ("this is what I've been up to recently..."), and apologies ("so sorry I took so long to respond to you..."), I respond to everyone in two and a half hours.



One day later, I have 27 responses in my inbox, with 13 more to follow in the next 72 hours.



----------------------

In other news: after spending a few minutes on AliCam's blog, I realized that I could put a list of the Finished Things on my blog - look to your left. How handy!

No comments: