Today is not the day to ask me about Askaway.
(Though that rhyme was rather fun.)
I work on Askaway, and it would be a lovely service if PEOPLE DIDN'T MESS WITH THE SYSTEM. Today was a hassle-shift: I had two legitimate questions, and eighty-seven million "spamming" questions by one or two people with nothing else to do with their time. Garrrrrrgh.
In general, though, on a shift that is not like today's, I quite enjoy working on Askaway. It's a useful service, and I sometimes use it when I'm having trouble finding something (two heads are often better than one, and I do love working at home...).
A few other notes:
1) I want services like this to be developed, but I don't want them to become the be-all and end-all of library services. I still love face-to-face contact with people, and we can often help people more if they show up in person (that way, at least, we can physically show them how to do something, or ascertain what, in particular, they're doing). Eye contact and body language are important for providing excellent reference services; you do not get that with Askaway.
2) Further to the hassle-shift of today: the anonymity of Askaway allows people to put on a mask and be braver than they would be in person. This may allow someone who is shy or going through a medical/other issue to ask questions they don't want to ask in person. However, it can also lead to obscene, rude, and possibly threatening comments by some. That's where the "End Session" key can come in handy - and, of course, our lovely and wonderful (and well-used) scripts about the limits of service. Also, ranting on this blog (and to other librarians) helps. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment