Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Office 2007

Goodness. I wish I'd done this the first week I was here; you see, that was my first foray into the wild new world of Office 2007. I would call myself an MS Word-queen in Office 2003, but let me tell you, transferring that over to 2007 was a bit of a hassle the first few weeks. You just get to know where things are, and when someone moves them ALL on you, it takes a while to adjust.

At any rate, I have now become much more comfortable with Office 2007. I'm still not a Word 2007-queen, but I'm hoping that will happen soon enough. I kind of like some of the changes - some of the style sheets for tables, quicker access to certain functions I use a lot (like footnotes), and the translation function are all quite useful. (The contextual spelling corrector might be useful, too, except when I tried to test it using the "loose/lose a battle" example from the Wikipedia article, it didn't work. Sigh. Maybe another day.)

The new Excel and Powerpoint and Outlook are all fine: once you get used to one of the new products, the others are pretty easy to figure out, as most things are in the same place.

At any rate, I thought I'd hate the changes. As it turns out, I kind of like some of them, even if I'm still going to "Help" a little more often than usual in order to find things. I have recently heard of an excellent deal at Microsoft's website on Office Ultimate 2007 for Canadian students (at something ridiculous like 90% off the cover price), so I think I might actually take the plunge and buy it. (Besides, I think it would be hard to go back to 2003 now - which is what I currently have on my computers at home and haven't used for the last 4 months.)

No comments: